School Meals & Packed Lunches
ABOUT HARRISON CATERING
Since its founding in 1994, Harrison has always been about quality fresh food prepared on-site and served by people who love what they do.
"Harrison understands that what students eat affects their health and their ability to learn and perform in the classroom and on the field. Our catering team provides nutritious, balanced meals, and we work to educate the students on how to make healthier food choices. Our goal is to instil a love and understanding of fresh, healthy food at a young age that will positively influence them throughout life".
All Harrison staff receive training on how to prepare and serve healthier food through the company’s bespoke Eat Well Live Well© training programme and complete Smile accredited customer service training to ensure the best experience for customers. They are also encouraged and supported to develop professionally throughout their career and the company provides many opportunities to achieve formal qualifications.
The Harrison team works closely with us to tailor menus to the tastes and preferences of the students. It introduces further interest and excitement to menus through themed lunches and dinners ranging from holidays like Easter and Christmas to cuisines from around the world, tying these into the school curriculum whenever possible in a fun and stimulating way.
Harrison have a comprehensive food allergen and intolerance process and the Catering Team work closely with students and their families to address individual dietary needs.
HOW TO PAY
A meal deal costs £2.94 and consists of the meal of the day and pudding (either yoghurt, fruit or a sweet option).
Whilst we are waiting for ParentPay to be set up, we will send you a summary of meals taken and the amount due every Friday. Payment will be due the following Monday.
Once ParentPay is set up, you will be able to pay for school meals in advance and will be able to view all transactions. If you wish to place dietary restrictions or spend limits on your child's account please do contact us to arrange this.
We encourage our students to eat a balanced and healthy diet. Harrison Catering offers a range of healthy, delicious meals. However, should your child prefer to bring a packed lunch, here are some guidelines we would appreciate you following:
Packed lunches to include:
- At least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables.
- A carbohydrate food such as wholemeal or granary bread, pasta, potato salad.
- Dairy food such as milk, cheese, yogurt or
- Meat, fish or other source of non-dairy
- Drinks should be water, still or sparkling, fruit juice, semi skimmed milk, yogurt or milk drinks or smoothies.
An example of a healthy packed lunch is:
- tuna or ham salad sandwich;
- bread sticks with a hummus dip, cucumber or carrot batons,
- yogurt; and
- a bottle of flavoured water.
Packed lunches should not contain:
- Snacks such as crisps. (Instead they can bring seeds, vegetables and fruit. Savoury crackers or bread sticks served with fruit or vegetables are also a good choice.)
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars and sweets. Cakes and biscuits are allowed, but these should only be eaten as part of a balanced meal.
- Meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausage / chipolatas should be included only occasionally.
- Fizzy drinks or energy drinks (these are not allowed in school at all).
Allergies and special diets
Please be aware that some students suffer from severe nut allergies. Please do not put items in your child's packed lunch containing nuts.
We also recognise that some students may require special diets that do not exactly comply with Health In Education standards. In this case we urge you to be responsible in ensuring that packed lunches are as healthy as possible.
For the reasons above, we ask that students do not swap food items.